Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Where are we going this month?

Egypt. For two years, I traveled back and forth to Cairo, as part of a team that designed some classes for accountants living in seventy different third world countries. I was in awe of the capabilities of those people and wondered what made them able to learn. None of them spoke English as a first language, yet the company that hired us insisted that we develop instruction in English. I developed research, based on the experience, to use for my PhD dissertation.

During those two years I was able to get out once in a while to play tourist. Now, I want to relive those precious moments through the camera lens and pretend to be riding my bike through this awesome country. I invite you to take the tour with me. I realize I can't remember the names of all the places - 7 years later, but I remember the people, the smells, the visuals, and the food.

The food. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that my kidneys were beginning to fail me in the last year of my life in Egypt. I was sick all of the time, throwing up at the mere mention of or smell of food. Some of you can relate. I wish I could go back now and taste the food all over again, with my new found health (due to dialysis).

We are in the plane, looking down at our destination

Cairo is in the Middle East.
There has been no rain in thirty years so the leaves are covered in years of dust (those that can't be reached by human intervention).
Let's find a camel to ride. Get off your bike a minute.
We have to get to know the desert and the Pyramids. There is a tiny little tunnel that we will climb into and up in order to see what mysteries hide inside. If you have claustrophobia, you may want to wait outside.
Let's ride over to the Sphinx and kiss his broken nose. Remember, we are on magical bikes that don't sink in the sand.
And we have to take time to visit the Mosques. Take your shoes off and if you are a woman, put on your hijab (or scarf that you will have with you at all times) and enter into the ancient history with reverence.  Running out of time, will post more pictures for you to think about while biking on your dialysis bike.
  





No comments:

Post a Comment